MYROYALS PHOTOS
HOLLYWOOD FASHION 2014

Monday, December 17, 2012

Happy thoughts...happy thoughts!

Anyone out there let their kids watch the Pajanimals on Sprout? Its actually kinda cute. Its puppets who have adventures as they get ready for bed. Anyway, on one episode one of the Pajanimals (either Sweet Pea Sue, Apollo, Squacky, or Cow Bella) is having trouble sleeping, so they sing this song about thinking happy thoughts...my blog title is the chorus, but I'm thinking this is an inside joke between me, myself, and I...oh and Clint. He's the best. ;)



So yes...after being hit very hard emotionally on Friday with one of the most horrific national tragedies in my lifetime and in American history...I spent the weekend very heavy-hearted for our nation, for the families, and for people I know who actually admitted they werent that affected. Say whhhhaaaaat? I can't understand if we as Americans have become desensitized to heinous, senseless crime or if people are really just too self-absorbed to care about our fellow man? LOTS of deep thoughts this weekend. I was even frustrated with Clint, who was sad and angry, but on nowhere near the level I was. I was in tears and he said I still needed to dress the girls in the cute matching Snowman dresses and get myself ready for his company work party at 3:30 because everyone had put so much planning into this day and Santa had presents for our girls. What?! Forgive me for feeling like the holiday celebrations should stop for the next few hours so our nation can spend some time in serious prayer. Or at least understand that I was not in an emotional place to go meet your bosses and coworkers for the first time and engage in small talk. (A few I've already met, but you get the point). I feel that if this massacre was cops, Clint would care more. That might be mean to say. And maybe its that I was a teacher for 3.5 years and have been blessed to be a mom for almost 2 that this tradegy hit way too close to home.Or maybe its because all of my mom's side of the family is there..some within an hour of picturesque little Newtown . Clint quickly saw my side of the story and he came home and got Lily to take her to the party and let me stay home with the baby. We are actually pretty great at compromise. Love my husband so much.

Anyway, to say that I was upset about friday's senseless school shooting is an understatement. However, I can't make those care that dont, so I dont want to be in a place where I'm asking people to be as horrified as I.

And at some point, its time for those happy thoughts...of those I do have many as my life has so much joy in it. I hope my humor doesnt trivialize any of the lives lost on Friday, I just know I need a good laugh sometimes, and I married the perfect man for that, no doubt!

First, I would like to share that I can be down-right gimmicky and shameless when it comes to trying to get my toddler to learn new things and acheive milestones. For example, in the joy (not really!) that is potty training, I have not been willing to do things the messy way and just ditch the diapers and see what happens. Not until she's two. For now, I'll pull a gimmick out of my sleeve! The result? A song I'll share only because this blog will be private as soon as I can figure that out!
On Saturday morning, I was trying to get Lily to use her princess potty but was met with resistance. So I came up with this song on the fly (yes, im blushing at how stupid it is!):

Peanut Butter Potty Time!
Peanut Butter Potty Time!
Peanut butter potty, peanut butter potty, peanut butter potty with a baseball bat (insert bat swinging motion)!

Guess what?! Lily thought this was hillarious! I was racking my brain and couldnt remember the next line. Enter, Clint and his i-phone obsession. Within a minute Clint had a "music video" pulled up on his phone with a dancing banana and the lyrics to Peanut Butter Jelly. Turns out they are:

Where you at? Where you at?
There you go, there you go

Followed by more of the PB and J stuff.

Anyway, all three of us had a full on dance party in the living room and if you've ever seen my husband shake it, you know he really commits (a little phenomenon dubbed "Godby For Life"! at our wedding).

So although there were no pees in the potty this weekend, I'm anxious to see if my gimmick served for anything greater than a good hearty giggle fit from my daughter. Who knows...but who cares? I love my family so much. :)

And the next happy thought comes from my college days. I've enjoyed some downright happy conversations with one of my great friends Avni, this week. Avni and I became friends in high school at Lincoln as we were both class of 2000 and of the AP-class-taking variety. In college, Kimmy, Katie, Avni, and I all graduated Lincoln together and embarked on a 4-year education at the University of Florida.We all decided to try the random roommate dorm experience freshman year and I think we are all glad we did. However, after a year of living in a triple dorm (3 people per shoebox) for Kimmy and I, and shared spaces for Kate and Avni...we all decided we'd like our own bedrooms from here on out and could join forces in an off-campus apt. I led the search committe and found one for cheap. Broke- I mean Oak Forest. ;)We all lived there until 2004 when we graduated with our bachelor's degrees. We were a family, and I love these girls like sisters. If you would like to see a creative writing genius, take a minute to read "Avniously"- its linked on my blog. My friend Alana called it "wonderfully weird" and I agree! http://avniously.wordpress.com/

I'm not going to caption what's going on in these pictures below, because it means SO much to me and the bunnies know. Thats all that matters sometimes. ;) Ep Tau 4 Life!





So anyway, now that you know Avni, thinking of her got me thinking of one my favorite compliments I've ever received. Or we've ever received, because it was paid to Kimmy, Avni, and I collectively. In either fall of 2000 or spring of 2001, Kimmy, Avni and I were hanging out in my dorm room- Broward Hall in G'ville. There were other people hanging out with us, but I can't remember who. I could do a random post about my thoughts on co-ed dorm living (this was not the dorm I requested!) but those stories are better shared over a glass of wine or a cold beer. As the three of us were chatting, this person said, "Wow, you guys talk like you're on Dawson's Creek." Be still, my heart. The highest praise I know. And its a little true. Avni's endless vocabulary is infectious and I find myself using words I know but rarely use when we are joking around. So if Avni brings her vernacular (see, when else would I use that word?!), Kimmy brings the wit and abounding pop culture knowledge...and me, I'm not quite sure, but together our conversations do lean toward the clever, Dawson's Creek-esque speak. I would have never thought of this unless we were paid that compliment. I'm curious if K and A recall this day? Oh, freshman year seems like yesterday until I do the math and correct myself, that it has now be 12 years...crazy. I'm so lucky to have spoken with both Kimmy and Avni over the last two or three days, and that along with Katie, these girls are some of the best friends anyone could ask for in life. :)



Happy thoughts...Happy thoughts!

PS- X Factor was SO good this week. I can't but having a new perspective on music since becoming a mother of two beautiful daughters. Forgive me if I prefer my little girls singing things like "You don't know you're beautiful" rather than "Blow my whistle, baby". Just food for thought. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment