MYROYALS PHOTOS
HOLLYWOOD FASHION 2014

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

RSV...I hate you!

Well, as ideal as my birth experience with Brinley was....I just have to vent about the damn RSV virus (Respiratory Syncytial Virus) that Lily picked up on the day Brinley was born! SUCH incredibly bad timing. We didnt know there had been an outbreak of RSV at Lily's daycare until Thursday (I had Brin on Monday). So by Thursday, we had already brought Lily up to visit her new sister twice and had two friends bring their kids up with them to visit as well...we would have kept all kids out if I knew there was reason to worry. Well, on Thursday morning (Sept 13th) around 9 am during my discharge process,  I got a call from Clint telling me that Lily's teacher pulled him aside and said there had been 3 cases of RSV at Faith, and one was in Lily's class. The teacher said the RSV began with two kids in the younger toddler class and spread to one of the girls in Lily's class. And that was 3 confirmed cases, Lord knows how many other kids might have the virus or at least been exposed. Lily had a mild cough that we werent concerned with, but hearing this news, made us take it more seriously. So after several attempts to get someone on the phone at Lily's Pediatrician...Clint finally was able to make an appt for Lily to be screened for RSV at 2 pm that afternoon. My dad had to take off work (again!) to spend the day with Lily, since keeping her at daycare wasnt an option.

At this point, I had just spent all Wednesday night at the hospital by myself, so Clint and Lily could stay at our house. I was ready for discharge Wednesday afternoon, but I opted to stay the third night to have help with nursing and pain management after my c-section. This was a good decision for me, but Brinley pees/poops after every feeding and was feeding almost hourly. So I didnt get a wink of sleep between the nursing, diaper changes, breast pumping, parts washing, snacking, drinking, packing the room, and of course baby snuggling. I was really ready to settle in at home and have some help with the diaper changes and night time feedings. Finding out Lily might have RSV and more importantly, that she might have exposed Brinley was not what I wanted to deal with at that moment!

So to make a long story short, Lily tested positive for RSV and a sinus infection and Brinley did not have RSV or any concerns. (Very thankful my newborn is healthy!!) So.... hence began the quarantining of my two daughters. We are very thankful we have parents in town to help, but let me just say- UGGH!!! Lily spent Friday and Saturday night at my parents house which meant Clint was there to help me. Sunday night Clint and Lily went to his parents house. Monday during the day, Clints mom kept Lily. Monday night Lily went back to my parent's house. Tonight and tomorrow Clint and Lily are at a hotel (I'm alone again)...and Friday night we have been cleared to let Lily come home as long as we keep her away from the baby. What a juggling act this all has been! Lily has needed someone to keep her day and night while I'm with Brinley. AND, Lily gave her lovely sinus infection (that requires her to be on Augmentin) to both my dad and Clint.

So,we are managing, but back to my original blog title....RSV, I hate you!! I feel so, so blessed to have a perfectly healthy angelic baby who nurses and sleeps and snuggles just right. But, I will say there has been a lot of extra stress on us due to the crap Lily contracted from daycare. Lily was out of day care every other day last week besides Monday, when we needed her there since I was having Brinley. If I had ANY idea RSV was in the mix at her school, I would have had Clint's mom or someone keep her. It was just really unfortunate timing.

Well, that's that in regards to the RSV. Lily's pediatrician gave us strict orders to keep all kids, babies, and unhealthy adults out of our house until all this passes. I'm sure our friends coming by to bring meals or meet the baby will be understanding and leave their kiddos at home. Looking forward to having my whole family home and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment